Do you ever wonder how long to boil potatoes? The time it takes to cook potatoes varies depending on the size and type of potato. Here is a guide to help you cook potatoes perfectly every time. Enjoy!
Table of Contents
- 1 How long to boil potatoes?
- 2 How to boil potatoes
- 3 Types of potatoes for boiling
- 4 Should I peel potatoes before boiling?
- 5 Tips for perfect boiled potatoes
- 6 What to do with boiled potatoes?
- 7 Conclusion: How long to boil potatoes
- 8 FAQs
- 8.1 How long to boil new potatoes?
- 8.2 How long should I boil potatoes?
- 8.3 How long to boil a small potato?
- 8.4 How do you know your potatoes have been properly boiled?
- 8.5 Can you overcook boiled potatoes?
- 8.6 What is the best way to store boiled potatoes?
- 8.7 Can you freeze boiled potatoes?
- 8.8 What are some other ways to cook potatoes?
- 8.9 How many potatoes should I boil?
- 8.10 What is the best way to peel boiled potatoes?
- 8.11 What are some other uses for boiled potatoes?
How long to boil potatoes?
How long to boil potatoes? This question depends on many factors
For small potatoes, such as new or fingerling potatoes, boiling time should be around 10 minutes. For medium-sized potatoes, like red potatoes, boiling time should be around 15 minutes. For large potatoes, like russet potatoes, boiling time should be around 20 minutes.
Keep in mind that the actual cooking time may vary depending on the potato variety, as well as factors such as altitude and the pot size. It is always best to check doneness by piercing the potatoes with a fork or knife to ensure they are cooked through.
How to boil potatoes
Start by adding the potatoes to a pot of cold water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for the desired amount of time. Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them immediately in a colander to prevent further cooking. Serve as desired.
Types of potatoes for boiling
There are many different types of potatoes that can be boiled, including red potatoes, Yukon Gold potatoes, russet potatoes, and new potatoes. Choose a potato that is appropriate for the dish you are preparing.
For example, red potatoes hold their shape well and are good for dishes where the potato will be cut into small pieces, such as potato salad. Yukon Gold potatoes are good for mashed potatoes because they have a creamy texture. Russet potatoes are good for baked potatoes because they become fluffy when cooked.
New potatoes are small, young potatoes that can be boiled whole. They have a delicate flavor and should be used in dishes where the potato will be the star of the show, such as boiled new potatoes with butter and parsley.
Should I peel potatoes before boiling?
It is up to you whether or not to peel potatoes before boiling them. If you are using Yukon Gold potatoes or red potatoes, there is no need to peel them since the skin is thin and will cook along with the potato.
If you are using russet potatoes, you may want to peel them since the skin can be thick and tough. New potatoes can be boiled with the skin on or off, depending on your preference.
Tips for perfect boiled potatoes
- Start with cold water: This will help the potatoes cook evenly and prevent them from overcooking on the outside while remaining undercooked in the middle.
- Use a large pot: This will help the potatoes cook evenly and prevent them from overcrowding and becoming mushy.
- Bring the water to a boil before adding the potatoes: This will help ensure that the potatoes cook evenly.
- Cut the potatoes into even pieces: This will help them cook evenly.
- Don’t overcook the potatoes: They should be cooked through but still firm. Overcooked potatoes will become mushy.
- Drain the potatoes immediately: This will prevent them from overcooking and becoming mushy.
- Serve as desired: Boiled potatoes can be served whole, in slices, or mashed. They can also be used as a base for other dishes, such as potato salad or soup.
What to do with boiled potatoes?
Boiled potatoes can be served whole, in slices, or mashed. They can also be used as a base for other dishes, such as potato salad or soup.
If you are looking for a more creative way to use boiled potatoes, try one of these recipes:
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Potatoes: These boiled potatoes are roasted in the oven with garlic, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil for a crispy and flavorful side dish.
- Mashed Potatoes: These boiled potatoes are mashed with butter, milk, and salt for a creamy and comforting side dish.
- Roasted Potato Soup: This soup is made with boiled potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. It is finished with a dollop of sour cream and chives.
- Potato Salad: This salad is made with boiled potatoes, eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, celery, and pickles. It is perfect for a summer picnic or potluck.
- Twice Baked Potatoes: These boiled potatoes are stuffed with cheese, bacon, and chives before being baked in the oven for a second time.
- Grilled Potatoes: These boiled potatoes are grilled on skewers with onions, peppers, and sausage for a fun and easy summertime meal.
- Potato Pizza: This pizza is made with a boiled potato crust and topped with tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and your favorite toppings.
- Potato Tacos: These tacos are made with boiled potatoes, black beans, lettuce, tomatoes, and shredded cheese. They are perfect for a Meatless Monday meal.
- Potato Skins: These boiled potatoes are hollowed out and filled with cheese, bacon, and chives. They are perfect for a or game day snack.
- Baked Potato Soup: This soup is made with boiled potatoes, milk, butter, and seasonings. It is topped with shredded cheese and green onions for a comforting and hearty meal.
- Cheesy Potato Casserole: This casserole is made with boiled potatoes, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, and shredded cheese. It is perfect for a potluck or family dinner.
See also: How long to bake sweet potatoes
Conclusion: How long to boil potatoes
Do you know how long to boil potatoes? It’s something that a lot of people wonder and it’s not always straightforward. Hopefully, within this blog post, Dhtavern will give you an overview of how long to boil potatoes for different purposes of making the perfect boiled potato.
How long to boil new potatoes?
The best way to cook potatoes is by using a pan with boiling water. After placing the salad spuds in this saucepan, cover it and allow them simmer until they tenderize for about 15-20 minutes depending on how big your potatoes are!
How long should I boil potatoes?
If you’re boiling the potatoes for a meal, it’s important to remember that smaller versions of this vegetable will take about 10-15 minutes and larger whole spuds can require up 20 or 25. To test if they are done just insert your knife into one—if no resistance is felt then they should be removed from heat immediately!
How long to boil a small potato?
Little potatoes are a delicious and healthy side dish that you can make in just 12-15 minutes with very little prep time. Into the pot go boiled Little Potatoes for about 15 more then drain them before tossing through some oil, salt pepper plus parsley to finish off!
How do you know your potatoes have been properly boiled?
There are a few ways to tell if your potatoes have been properly boiled. First, they should be cooked through but still firm. Second, you should be able to easily pierce them with a fork. Third, the water should be at a rolling boil before you add the potatoes. Finally, the potatoes should be evenly cut so they cook evenly.
Can you overcook boiled potatoes?
Yes, you can overcook boiled potatoes. If they are overcooked, they will become mushy. To avoid this, be sure to cook them just until they are cooked through but still firm. You should also drain them immediately after cooking to prevent them from overcooking.
What is the best way to store boiled potatoes?
The best way to store boiled potatoes is in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will last for 3-5 days.
Can you freeze boiled potatoes?
Yes, you can freeze boiled potatoes. Place them in a freezer-safe container and they will last for up to 6 months.
What are some other ways to cook potatoes?
There are many other ways to cook potatoes. You can bake them, fry them, roast them, or even microwave them. Each method will result in a different flavor and texture. Try experimenting with different methods to find your favorite way to eat potatoes.
How many potatoes should I boil?
The number of potatoes you should boil depends on how many people you are feeding and how much they will eat. A good rule of thumb is to boil 1-2 potatoes per person. This will ensure that everyone has enough to eat and that there are some leftovers.
What is the best way to peel boiled potatoes?
The best way to peel boiled potatoes is to let them cool slightly so you can handle them. Then, use a paring knife to peel the skin off. If the skin is stubborn, you can use a vegetable peeler.
What are some other uses for boiled potatoes?
There are many other uses for boiled potatoes. You can mash them, use them in a soup or stew, or even fry them. Boiled potatoes are a versatile ingredient that can be used in many different dishes.
Echo Reed is the owner and head chef of darkhorse restaurant. She has been working in the culinary world for over a decade, and opened her own establishment in 2018. Echo is known for her unique style and approach to cooking, which has won her critical acclaim from food critics and diners alike.